Homecoming is a special time when we dress up and celebrate with friends. It can be tough finding the perfect dress but don't worry, I'm here to help! In this post, I'll share some homecoming dress tips on finding your dream homecoming dress. So read on, girl, and you'll be ready to look your best at this year's dance!
How to prepare for a homecoming event
Knowing what event you'll attend is essential to picking the right outfit. Make sure there's enough time for your dress to be altered before the event. Also, ensure your dress follows the guidelines set by your school's homecoming dress code.
What type of dress to wear
The first step in finding the perfect prom dress is deciding what style you want to wear. For example, if you're looking for something more casual, a loose-fitting, flowy dress that's flattering on most body types may be your best option.
If you're looking for a specific look, ask friends and family members what their favorite styles are. If you're looking for something more formal, there is nothing wrong with going for a classic cocktail dress or gown. These ensembles will make you more noticeable in a crowd of other girls wearing more casual dresses while maintaining a sense of style.
Homecoming dress shopping tips
- There is so much to love about buying a dress. But if you're not 100% sure, don't just buy one! You might find your new favorite after trying several different styles and designs. There is so much to love about buying a dress. But if you're not 100% sure, don't just buy one. You may find something you love after trying on a few different dresses.
- Sometimes it can be hard to know your size, especially when shopping online. It's also important to know your measurements beforehand so you can have an accurate idea of what size dress would suit you best.
- Think about what type of shape you are. Round shapes will probably look better with a ballgown style. In contrast, v-shaped body types will look better with a more fitted dress design that hugs the curves more tightly (think Kate Middleton).
How to choose your hoco dress
Take enough time
What better way to find your perfect dress than to look at all the options available? The longer you have before making a decision, the more likely it is that something will suit both personal preferences and budget.
There are so many different styles of homecoming dresses to choose from! If you're thinking of having a made-to-order dress, expect that this needs more time. I wish we had a magical fairy godmother who could whip her wand to instantly give us glittering outfits, but no. Take enough time, girl!
Decide on your budget.
There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to how much you should spend on a hoco dress. It all depends on what you can afford. However, setting a budget before you start shopping is essential, so you don't overspend.
Here are a few tips for setting a budget for your homecoming dress:
- Decide how much you can afford to spend. Don't just break the bank of your mum or dad! Make sure you leave room in your budget for other expenses, such as transportation and tickets.
- Think about whether you want to buy or rent a dress. If you're only going to wear the dress once, renting may be more cost-effective than buying outright.
- Sign up for deals and discounts. Sign up for emails from your favorite stores (like Dress21!) and follow along on social media. You’ll be the first to know about any special promo codes or sales.
One of the things you need to consider is the body type of the dress. Will it hug your body and make you look your best, or will it look more like a sack on your body?
A lot of people want something that looks cute, so they'll wear whatever fits their tastes. Others want to be seen in a certain way and go for nothing else. If you want to ensure that your dress will show off all of your curves and give off your best figure, learn which best styles compliment your body.
When choosing a color, you should consider colors that match your personality and skin color. If you're looking for a dark color, try choosing black homecoming dresses or a touch of navy blue. If you're looking for a light color, go for pastel shades like pink or purple.
Wear what you feel comfortable in
This is the essential piece of advice you should follow. You want to wear something that makes you feel confident, comfortable, and in line with your personal style. If you shop around and find the dress that fits this description, then there's a good chance your friends will be impressed by your outfit.
Coordinate your prom dress with your date's outfit
Imagine finding the most beautiful prom dress you could have ever dreamed of, but your date shows up in a tacky suit and tie that clashes horribly! You look terrible side-by-side in photos, and definitely not like a match made in heaven. Truly a nightmare.
It is much easier to stick with one or two colors within the same temperature when deciding what colors to base your outfits on. You can use a neutral color like white or black dress as your foundation piece.
Suppose you have a specific color in mind. In that case, it should be easy from there to put together an outfit by finding something that either matches exactly or compliments the chosen color palette.
Do's and don'ts
Finding the perfect homecoming dress can be challenging, especially if you don't know where to start. There are a few things to remember when looking for that special dress.
- Don't settle for something too plain. Adding a bright accent or statement necklace to a simple dress can be a brilliant way to jazz it up and make it look more stunning.
- Do have a budget in mind. It may not seem a big deal, but spending money on homecoming dresses can be costly. It's best to know how much you want to spend, so you don't end up overspending.
- Do choose something appropriate for your event. Choose a style that fits your school's theme, and follow the dress code. If your school doesn't allow sleeveless dresses, you can wear a sleeveless dress as long as you wear a scarf throughout the evening. And remember that sparkle and glitter are popular choices for homecoming dresses.
Should I dress formally for a homecoming?
Don't just wear your average clothes or dress when you go out for your hoco party.
Remember that the homecoming dress isn't your everyday dress—it's supposed to be special and different.
Go out and buy something specially made for homecoming that's a little more glamorous than what you usually wear.
However, ensure sure not to overdress. A princess ballgown is probably not the greatest choice because homecoming is less formal than prom.
What type of dress should I wear?
A perfect homecoming dress will create a polished look, and it should be something you feel confident and comfortable in. It should match any outfit you have for the night.
The back of the dress can feature a variety of different styles, including a keyhole back or a ruched back.
When it comes to style, feel free to be creative and select something that reflects your personal sense of style.
Should my dress be long or short?
Typically the homecoming dance will be more semi-formal because this event is more of a welcoming-back affair and less formal. Save the lengthy formal dresses for prom and instead go for a charming little dress that meets the school dress code.
Wrapping it up
With these helpful tips, you're ready to start shopping for your cute hoco dress. But the real fun begins when you find THE perfect one. Suddenly, all those hours spent scouring product pages will feel worth it. And don't forget to accessorize! A little bling can really make an outfit pop. Now go out there and show 'em what you've got!